THE OBAFEMI AWOLOWO CENTRE FOR LEADERSHIP STUDIES
The mandate for the creation of the Centre for Leadership Studies as an adjunct organ of the Obafemi Awolowo Foundation was derived from the conclusions and recommendations of the Third Obafemi Awolowo Foundation Dialogue, held in Lagos in December, 1994.
In the communiqué issued at the end of the Dialogue, participants enjoined the Foundation to
" ....give serious consideration to establishing a Centre for Leadership Training". In fulfillment of that recommendation, the Centre for Leadership Studies was created, to address the leadership training aspects of the mandate of the Obafemi
Awolowo Foundation within the overall context of the Foundation's credo which is: "Generating ideas for National Development".
MISSION AND POLICY STATEMENT
The purpose of the Obafemi Awolowo Foundation Centre for Leadership
Studies is to serve as a centre for leadership development and training of
Nigerians in public policy, business and the professions.
* To provide a forum for identifying and analysing recurrent issues of leadership in Nigeria and other developing polities.
* To conduct research into .leadership patterns and processes from a comparative perspective.
* To serve as a forum for the training of potential leaders from both the private and public sectors.
* To bring together academics, professionals, officials, policy-makers, etc. to address issues of common concern, to clarify the central problematic in leadership formation and provide training opportunities to help sectorial leaders overcome identified obstacles.
* To promote the expansion of a culture of principled and ethical leadership as an intrinsic aspect of a democratic society.
* To promote the vigorous participation of intellectuals, professionals,
policy-makers in the discussion of leadership in Nigeria, specifically, and Africa in general.
* To publish and disseminate the results of research carried out at the Centre.
* To undertake any other activities relevant to (with critical bearing upon) the development of good leadership.
INAUGURAL SEMINAR OF THE CENTRE OR LEADERSHIP STUDIES
In July 1996, the Centre had its maiden activity in the form of a 2-day seminar for top-level corporate decision-makers on the theme, Leadership for Corporate Philanthropy.
The Seminar examined existing and emerging practices of corporate philanthropy in Nigeria with a view to evolving ways of improving the effectiveness of corporate philanthropic initiatives.
Specifically, the objectives of the seminar were to:
* Develop leadership competence in corporate philanthropy.
* Appraise the current state of corporate philanthropy-In Nigeria with a
view to understanding and transcending present limitations.
* Increase awareness of the social responsibility of business organisations.
* Identify areas .of social need amenable to philanthropic activism
and corporate philanthropic involvement.
* Recognize the need to encourage more corporate organisations to be
involved in philanthropy.
* Impact on larger sections of society than is currently the Case.
* Create auspices for networking, collaboration and leveraging as a basis for minimising duplication of efforts.
* Show how the attainment of strategic business goals and objectives
can be enhanced through well- structured philanthropic initiatives.
The Seminar drew participants and resource persons from all segments of industry, multinational corporations, academia, non-governmental organisations, research institutions and Foundation, including:
Mr. David Logan, President,
Corporate Citizenship International, United Kingdom.
Otunba Subomi Balogun
Chairman/CEO, First City Merchant Bank.
Mr. Bassey Ndiokho,
Chairman/Managing Director, UAC of Nigeria Plc.
Mr. Erastus Akingbola,
MD/CEO, Nigerian Intercontinental Merchant Bank.
Chief Rufus Giwa, Executive Chairman;
Lever Brothers of Nig. Plc.
Engineer Yomi Adeyemi-Wilson,
General Manager, External Affairs, Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited
Dr. Olatunji Dare,
Media Consultant .
Professor Akin Osiyale,
Chief Consultant,Adecross Educational Services Ltd
Professor A.A. Ilemobade,
Vice- Chancellor, Federal University of Technology, Akure.
Professor LA. Adalemo, Development
Policy Centre ,Ibadan.
Dr. Christoper Kolade,
Chairman Cadbury Nigeria Plc,
Member of Faculty, Lagos Business School.
Professor Dafe Otobo,
Head of Department of Industrial Relations, University oj Lagos.
Dr. Pat Utomi, Member of Faculty,
Lagos Business School.
Prince Oladele Olashore,
Chairman, Lead Merchant Bank.
Mr. Fola Adeola,
Managing Director/CEO, Guaranty Trust Bank.
Professor Bolanle Awe,
Regional Director, MacArthur Foundation.
Dr. Adhiambo Odaga,
Programme Officer, Ford Foundation.
Professor O O. Akinkugbe, Member,
Board of Trustees and Governing Council,
Obafemi Awolowo Foundation.
Chief Joop Berkhout
Chairman, Spectrum Book Ltd
Mr. M. Bhathena
Managing Director, New World Merchant Bank
Ambassador O. Fafowora
Chief Executive Officer, Fafouxxa Associates
Mr. A. Olatawura
Senior Partner, Z. O. Ososanua & Co. (Chartered Accountants)
Ms. Josephine Prest
Controller. News. Nigerian Television Authority
Mrs. R. O. Soremekun
Operations Director, Pharma-Deko PLC.
Mr. Femi Vaughan
General Manager. Guaranty Trust Bank.